Saturday, November 7, 2009

She Plays Music

She Plays Music


Flash Back Friday: The ’90s

Posted: 06 Nov 2009 01:12 PM PST

The Cranberries

The first song I ever slow danced with a boy to….circa grade 6. *sigh*

Bikini Kill

Although I only recently just heard about this band they are definitely a band that reflects my punk phase.

Hole

I was into Hole before I thought Courtney Love was crazy, in fact I stole all my brother’s Hole tapes and he thought our babysitter stole them!

More Classic Female ’90s All Stars After the Jump!

Ani DiFranco

Although I was a bit too young to fully understand her lyrics she definitely built me up and made me realize how awesome and powerful chicks can be.

Lauryn Hill

Another empowering woman we all love to get down to! Album: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.

The Cardigans

We all remember Romeo + Juliet, you know the one with Leonardo and that song we could never get out of our heads. Well, it was by The Cardigans and that album is still on repeat 13 years later.

“My Favorite Game”

Garbage

Although Garbage was never at the top of my list it definitely is a band that deserves a shout out.

Especially this classic.

Portishead

This song and video is so dope! I really should have put it at the top!


No Doubt (duh)

Last but certainly not least! I couldn’t compile a list about female musician’s of the 90’s and leave No Doubt out!

Happy FridayEveryone! I hope you enjoyed this little time machine!

Post from: She Plays Music

The Organ – The Band You Wish You Saw Before They Broke Up

Posted: 06 Nov 2009 09:01 AM PST

I was hanging in a dingy bar two years ago when someone put “Brother” by The Organ on the Jukebox, and since then I’ve been hooked. Lead singer Katie Sketch has a voice that is as easy to listen to as floating in a pool in the middle of summer. I love The Organ for many reasons, the first being that they remind me of early 90’s tunes which sends me back in a swirl of nostalgia. Unfortunately this nostalgia only got stronger because I discovered they weren’t together anymore.

The band was comprised of five awesome chicks who started out in Vancouver, British Columbia. Katie Sketch on vocals, Debora Cohen killing the guitar, Shmoo R. on bass, Shelby Stocks on drums, and the essential Jenny Smyth on the organ. They are the epitome of one of the best female bands of our time! Or atleast I would like to think.

If you want to know exactly what I’m talking about watch their video for “Memorize the City” which is hands down my favorite track!

It took me awhile to accept that the band wasn’t together and it reminded my of the time when I realized Shera wasn’t real. It was a dark time.

More videos and info about their last album after the jump!

I think the band realized how bummed everyone was so they got back together to released their final album last fall. I high fived people on the street, I kissed strangers, and I helped an old lady across the street. Ok, I didn’t do any of those things but I was pretty stoked.

The album is titled “Thieves” and it holds true to their original sound!  I couldn’t wait to get it so I downloaded it on iTunes something I never do! No regrets!

This is the last song on “Thieves” and it’s sad, beautiful and oh so appropriate for their last album!

“Don’t Be Angry”

This has to be their music video they ever did for “Fire in the Ocean” off of “Thieves” .

Post from: She Plays Music