Thursday, November 12, 2009

T.R.O.Y.

T.R.O.Y.


Tall Dark & Handsome - Jackson 5

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 07:30 AM PST


Does anyone recognize a track that sampled the beginning of "Darling Dear" by The Jackson 5? The melody and the "La La La" singing?

Back in August, I posted on the "Track ID" thread from the T.R.O.Y. forum looking for the track that sampled it. I mentioned that the track was probably from the late 80's or early 90's. At first, I thought that it was Three Times Dope but after going through their albums, it wasn't. I was still pretty sure that it was done by a group. After 5 days, no one replied so I asked again. Fellow T.R.O.Y. Bloggers Cenzi, Verge, and another forum member said that it didn't ring a bell to them.

Today, November 7 as I'm writing, I don't really remember what triggered me listen to this track but I went on Youtube to hear Tall Dark & Handsome (self titled track) from their 1988 hip-hop album on B-Boy Records. As soon as the track started, I remembered that it was that song that I was looking for 3 months straight. I knew that I wasn't dreaming.. It's definitely a classic 'ahead of its time' type of joint! If you want their album you can buy the Traffic Ent. Reissue from 2005. I still included a link courtesy of bustthefacts for those who wants to give it a quick listen.

Peace,


Tall Dark & Handsome - T.D.H. (1988)

- Thomas V

Pete Rock & CL Smooth Reunited On Stage 11/09/09

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 06:07 PM PST

WORD!! Sorry if you already saw this on other blogs already, but it had to be posted here for obvious reasons. Not much info out there about this and I have no idea if this implies any future endeavors between the duo. But we can only hope. Apparently they are touring Europe together right now. This show was in London at Relentless Garage, Highbury.

Also, if you didn't know, Mr.Chop recently dropped an album of Pete Rock beats that he covered with some extra instrumentalists, more in the psyche/funk/jazz vein, but dope. Philaflava featured the T.R.O.Y. cover on the latest Sounds Like The 90's compilation.
But here's the kicker: Sometime in the near future, a couple of those beats will be released on 45's and will have CL Smooth rhyming on them. I don't know if he's just going to rhyme the same verses again or what, though. Stay tuned.

Thanks to CDubb over at the T.R.O.Y. forum for pulling my coat to this. Pause.

--Verge